Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

10:00 AM

Title: Hemlock (Hemlock #1)
Author: Kathleen Peacock
Release Date: May 8, 2012 (hardcover)
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 416
Source: Bought

Overall: 5 Stars

Summary:
Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac's life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac's hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy's killer:

A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy's murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy's boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock's thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love. 

My Thoughts: 
When it comes to werewolf novels, I tend to eye them warily and take my time in bringing myself to read them. However, when I first stumbled across Hemlock, I just knew that I had to have a copy of the book... and not just so I could gaze at its absolutely gorgeous cover. Once I began reading the book, I was completely addicted to the suspenseful storyline and couldn't set it down until I was finished! Kathleen Peacock's debut Hemlock is more than just your typical werewolf novel, that's for sure.

Mackenzie's life hasn't been the same since the night she learned her best friend, Amy, had been murdered by a white werewolf. Her high-profile death has attracted an organization called the Trackers, a group whose mission is to capture anyone infected with the Lupine syndrome and send them off to rehabilitation camps where they're never heard from again. Haunted by Amy's death in her dreams, Mac decides to investigate her death, hoping for a sense of closure and wishing that the Trackers would leave her town. But with the Trackers in Hemlock, it especially isn't safe for anyone to be sympathetic towards werewolves, even if they're not all dangerous as they claim. And Mac's determination to find Amy's killer has placed herself straight in the path of danger. 

There are actually two romantic interests in Hemlock, but it's not obvious to readers until it suddenly hits you straight in the face and you're left completely torn which boy is the right match for our Mackenzie. If the love triangle had been done another way, I might have been annoyed, but I loved how Kathleen Peacock executed it in her novel. While Mac obviously cares for both Jason and Kyle as her closest friends, she doesn't allow her feelings to overshadow her main goal of discovering who killed Amy. Both of the boys are hiding secrets of their own and make mistakes, yet even though they act completely different than each other, you just know the one thing they have in common at least is Mac's best interests in their hearts.

Kathleen Peacock's Hemlock has instantly become my new favourite werewolf novel! With a perfect combination of mystery, romance and the supernatural, there's no way you won't be loving this novel. I'm absolutely looking forward to seeing what will happen to Mac, Jason and Kyle in the second novel of the planned trilogy!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I've seen so many good reviews of this!! I can't wait to explore Kathleen's werewolf mythology and this good love triangle everyone's talking about ;) Don't think I'll be disappointed! Great review! I'm very excited to get this in my mailbox!

    Lisa | Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great review! I was actually a bit hesitant to read Hemlock because it's another werewolf read but after your review I think I will have to pick up a copy! I agree that the cover is beautiful and the fact that there is a sweet romance and good suspense makes me want to pick it up even more!!!!!!

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think I've seen this book around and you definitely made it sound good!
    :D I'm glad you had such a great read!! :d
    I do like werewolves so I'm going to try to get this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book as well. I know what you mean about being wary because of all the werewolf books out there, but this one was amazing! I loved how Kathleen did the love triangle, was not expecting that at all. Great review, I'm glad you love this one! Can't wait to see what happens next :)

    ReplyDelete